Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Neurologist Appointment

Violet's Neurologist is very keen to start her on Amitriptyline/Endep for her daily headaches.

He required an ECG before she starts the meds, which to me...rings alarm bells. He said it can affect the heart, so they need an ECG before starting so they know: 1. Her heart is okay at the moment and 2. To compare further ECG's to down the track if anything happens.

Another reason I am hesitant in her starting on this med is that I have used it since my brain tumor op for my own and it didn't work. Plus all the many additional side effects that are very unpleasant and some of which I had when I was on it.

Just stuck on what is best to do? Medicate her with so many other side effects that come with it or let her keep putting up with daily headaches?

7 comments:

casey said...

You personally have to weigh the options. Would you rather have her have daily headaches, or deal with the side effects. I would ask and see if there is another medicine that has side effects that she could deal with, if at all possible, that she could take.

Alison said...

What a difficult choice. I guess you could try the medication and see. Also it might be worth remembering that tryptanol has some good side effects too - its really good for things like anxiety.

There don't seem to be any easy choices with our kids some times!!

Mazzmerise said...

such a hard choice for you, you can only do what you think is best for Violet. nearly everything we do for our children's health have some sort of side effect, good and bad :( so hope Violet doesn't get to many on what ever road you go down.
Thinking of you all.

one of the treatments Alex had causes heart issues later on so she gets regular ECG

Missy said...

I guess I agree with Alison, give it a try. maybe it might work for Violet? I guess its that whole Risk v.s Benefit question that we are always faced with

Hope that it helps with getting rid of her headaches though
hugs xx

Adriana said...

So difficult way of choices. I agree with Alison. Better go to medication. So really hard to decide when it comes to our children. Better stick on prayer and it well lead to you in a right decisions.

Di said...

Such a tough one :-(. Daily headaches certainly don't sound like much fun. I'd agree it could be worth giving it a go. She'd be able to stop taking them at any time if they weren't helping, I'd hope without risk of side effects from coming off them? xo

April said...

Wishing there was an easy choice... Good luck! Sorry she's been having yucky headaches :(