Saturday, 26 March 2011

Are you for real?

Fail Road
Friday afternoon, Violet came home from school saturated in Pi$s.

She has NEVER done this since being toilet trained unless she was having a seizure/post Botox and it sure as hell wasn't either of those reasons!

I rang the Principal when I got home, but no answer. So I rang the Disability Itinerant Support Lady from DET and she rang the Principal to let him know and then she rang me back.

I asked her if the principal had apologised on behalf of the aide and he hadn't! This disappointed me further.

She said he would get the teachers aide to take her to the toilet more than she does. Well at the start of this week, the Principal had already advised the teachers aide to toilet her more often as I told him Violet was holding on and busting when she got home from school to go to the toilet.

I saw the teachers aide at 1pm Friday when I was at the school administering Violet's AB's (as I don't trust them doing that) and she said to me she would be taking Violet to the toilet at 1.40 when they had their next break, to see if she needed to go. Well, Emily and Violet both told me she didn't take her! Maybe the fact that it takes this aide close to 1 hour to hoist Violet onto the toilet that makes Violet hold on instead?

Thru my tears...I told her I was at the end of my tether and they have a duty of care to my child and they had failed! I also said the public school system is failing her miserably! I don't know who to turn to, as I seem to be banging my head against a wall and no one is willing to help me. I seem to have no rights as a mother. I told this Disability Itinerant Support lady that I felt she was on the schools side, being DET staff aswell, when she should be a mediator between us both and remain neutral.

I could not stop crying Friday night as I feel I have failed her as a mother, leaving her in their care, when it is so damn obvious they are not coping!

I am trying to put in writing a complaint to the school, principals superior and the local MP, so any tips in letter writing would be greatly appreciated, as I feel too emotionally involved to write properly.


8 comments:

Carla said...

I am heartbroken for you & for Violet. I wish I had better words to say. I wish I had a real suggestion- I can only think to either embarress the hell out of them, write to the local school board, newspaper or {gulp} a local news station or sue them until you own them. Fighting words, I know, but UGH! unacceptable!

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Sarah, I am truly sorry.
Their duty of care has definately failed.
I cannot believe she came home all wet. I can understand if perhaps she had an accident but seriously the aide then cleans her up respectfully and makes her comfortable again.
Did Violet say that she told the teacher/aide that she had wet pants?
In a letter form I would talk about rights of the child and be as emotive as you feel so it gets the message across. What about the Association for children with a disability as an advocate? or CP alliance?
I would find it so hard to turn up on Monday if at all really back into that environment before things get changed.
Bron

Alison said...

Oh Sarah - how awful for Violet - and what another unnecessary stress for you.

I wish I could offer some advice but it sounds like you are already doing all the right things and still not getting anywhere.

Hopefully Di will pop in - she is the letter writing queen :)

Big hugs to all of you.

PS One of my kidney friend's husbands works for a major TV station .... if necessary .... current affairs outcry might get some action....

Belinda said...

Sarah, I am so sorry for what has happened so far from Violet's school experience.

Di is the letter writing queen!

The people you are already dealing with SHOULD be the people that sort all this out, but isn't the case.

Go as high as you can. It is a disgrace and this genuinely upsets me and I can only imagine how you all feel.

The Henrys said...

I can't believe that this is still an issue. I am so sorry that you are Violet are going through this.

As for the letter, find as many laws/rules to back you up as possible. Also, I would include everything that they have done and leave nothing out. Anything in writing you have from the school will help. I learned the hard way that if you don't have it in writing then it never happened.

You are a wonderful mother and are doing everything you can for Violet. That is as far from a failure as you can get!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Josephine said...

Sarah, this is all so horrible, I am so sorry. It is so far beyond inadequate care that they are providing, and something seriously needs to change. Good luck with the letter. You are completely in the right and they are completely in the wrong.

Missy said...

oh Sarah...I just dont know what to say. I am devastated for you and of course for Violet. This is totally unacceptable.

This aide clearly has an issue with doing her job and being there for Violet, she has never shown interest, worn inppropriate footwear and it sounds like she doesnt even have a realtionship with VIolet

It is time to get her removed as Violets aide, as she DOESNT have Violets best interests or needs as her most important role.

Yep time to go right to the top. Go to the Superintendent, Education Minister, any TV show that will have you on.
This is something that we SHOULDNT have to fight for. We should not have to fight for basic rights.
I am just so mad for you...I am so sad that this is still an issue for Violet and for your family xxxxx

The Taylor Family said...

Oh Sarah, this is just heartbreaking. I am so angry for you, it is hard to believe that the school could allow this to happen. I have no tips on the letter writing so am a bit useless but just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you all. I really hope that they can get their act together to provide such a basic right and allow Violet to be educated and not lose her dignity in the process. Uuurgh! Rach xoxo