Saturday, 26 February 2011


On Tuesday 22nd February, Violet had her long awaited and needed leg and foot surgery.

She was fasted from 7am and we arrived at the hospital at 12.45pm. She finally went into theatre at 2.15pm and we finally got to see her again at 7.00pm in recovery, so a very long surgery.

...waiting to go in recovery
Surgeon changed a couple of the planned procedures as once he was in there he realised they weren't going to be enough. There was alot of swelling!

The procedures ended up being:

Steindler Release = Plantar Fascia Release
Tendo-Achilles Lengthening
Tibialis Posterior Lengthening
Abductor Hallucis Lengthening to help with Metatarsus Adductus
Medial (foot) capsulotomy
Hiroshima procedure =Transfer of FDL and FHL to the dorsum of the foot

In recovery, he said to us that even though he had to change a few of the planned procedures, he is unsure whether this op will be enough.

I was very thankful that she had the epidural in for the pain management which was a concoction of Fentanyl and Clonidine. She still required additional pain meds on top of this.

They took the epidural out on Thursday which one of the anaesthetists was not impressed about when he found out, as he said she really needed it in for 72 hours minimum.

She was very sedated the first day and when she did finally awake to talk the first things she said were "Can't sit up" not that she tried of course but she must have just known she couldn't feel like she could (having the epidural in). She then added "need do a wee after this" again could not feel this sensation but knew that she hadn't been for so long and assumed she should be going...I then had to explain a catheter to her which she didn't seem to mind until a few days later when she no longer had the epidural in and said what's that in my ..... and was trying to pull it out!

On 23rd and 24th, she developed high temp, was tachycardic and oxygen saturation dropped to 79 and required hours on end of oxygen...

After epidural was out, they started her on Oxycodone and Diazepam, + Nurofen and Panadol. So thankful for the Diazopan as this helped relieve her muscle spasms which were waking her every 2 minutes.

She abused the nurses and therapists constantly! Was very embarrassing and when she whipped out a swear word a few times and in context, I wished the ground would open and swallow me up! She sure must have been in pain as it was constant verbal abuse to them all. Spose the fact she has spent the past 5 years in hospital with ops, appts, therapies etc she is not a trusting soul.
After seeing all the blood come through her cast, we were glad to hear that on Friday they would be putting a colour fibreglass layer to cover this. I had visions of her going back to school in a few weeks and scaring all the kids!

On Friday, we had a lovely delivery of gorgeous flowers, teddy and balloon for Violet all the way from Western Australia. These were from the lovely Debbie and her son William who recently had major surgery for his Cerebral Palsy. It really brightened Violet up! Thanks Debbie and William x

She was discharged today and has ample pain meds to keep her comfortable at home.

We have alot of physio starting now and the more intense, once she is out of the cast.

She is non weight baring for the full 6 weeks and then will have her k-wires out and cast off , she will then be casted for a new AFO and then be re-casted in a fibreglass cast for weight baring a further 2 weeks.

Once she starts weight baring again she will need a walker to assist and they have warned me she may regress before any progress is seen.

We have Orthopaedic Surgeon review in 2 weeks.

Thanks for everyones messages of support all week, we have really appreciated it x


Alison said...

I'm so glad to hear it went well and that you're home now.

Fair enough for Violet to give the staff a hard time - its much harder for her than it is for them!

I hope her recovery continues without complication. Has she got enough meds that she can share with you???

Kristen said...

It's always hard watching these little ones go through such recovery. How good that the procedure is finally over and you ones can move on, with better things to come.

Missy said...

OMG....just reading all of that makes me cringe just imagining little Violet having to deal with all of this, the pain especially. I am sad to hear that the doctor thinks that this surgery may not be enough.

It certainly sounds like such a L O N G recovery period and I hope that Violet (and all of you!) cope with this next part.

It seems so unfair that our little ones have to go through things like this. They have experienced more in their short little lives than most do in a life time!

hugs xxx

Belinda said...

Sending love and positive recovery vibes to Violet! Love her language outbursts! Fair enough I reckon!

Hope you are all doing well! xx.

Rosalie said...

So happy to hear it went well. I hope she recovres quickly and pain free very soon xx