Thursday, 10 February 2011

Getting so close

Only 12 more sleeps until surgery...

This morning Violet had Pre-admission for her upcoming leg/foot surgery.

We of course did the normal....chatted to the Anesthetist, Orthopaedics and then went to have bloods done.

The op is 2.5 hours + time going under GA and recovery time. They told me to expect 5 hours before I could see her again.

We talked about infections risks both with surgical sites and with an epidural in, pain management, recovery etc.

They said it would be between 6-9 months before any progress was seen and 1 year to be fully rehabilitated...so it sure is going to be a long road ahead, but have to stay + this is going to work and hopefully it will all be worth it.

As for the bloods, they are normally more of an issue once your in "the room" but today she started the screaming and crying as soon as we entered the waiting room and I mean SCREAMING! I tried to calm her down (more so for the other children waiting) but it didn't help. Had the normal holding her down for the bloods and screaming at the blood collector "I tell you it hurt in minute".

Now trying to build myself up for the next 12 days in preparation mentally, physically and emotionally for this...

5 comments:

Big brother, Little sister. said...

thinking of you all Sarah, what a massive thing to be doing. xoox love to Miss V and Miss E x

Belinda said...

Wish I could be there for you!

A boy we know has had similar surgery last year and although it hasn't been easy for them, he is doing so well and it's been extremely worthwhile.

Definately wish I could be of some help.

Love to you all. Xx

Alison said...

Oh Sarah - I will be thinking of you all.

Don't forget I'm not far away so let me know if you need anything - I am more than happy to bring anything you need!!

Sarah said...

Thanks girls...Alison you are too kind, you have enough on your plate but thanks so much for the offer x

Mazzmerise said...

Thinking of you Sarah in the days leading up to the surgery, hope all goes smoothly