Thursday, 28 October 2010

Orthopaedic Surgeon Appointment

This morning Violet was back to the Orthopaedic Surgeon. She didn't have a booked appointment but they managed to squeeze her into his busy schedule as her leg/foot have become increasingly tight and even less manageable than what they were. She is now compensating the walking issues she has by not putting weight through her right foot/leg and also swinging her hip out more. This is because she walking so far over on the side of her foot now it's just awful :( Therefore, in pain, tripping, falling and tiring more.

Her physio from the hospital also met me in the clinic and immediately noticed Violet's increased difficulty in walking, both with and without her AFO.

My concern is that it is still 4 months until her surgery and I can only see her going downhill further and spending the next 4 months permanently in the wheelchair while waiting for the surgery.

The surgeon agreed she has definitely worsened since he last saw her in July. Her last Botox was only almost 3 months ago. Her heel is not sitting in her AFO anymore, it is popping out from the tightness of her muscles. So he wants the Orthotists to pack to heel and hope this will at least help with the comfort part of her walking until surgery in February rolls around.

He said he can't really fit her in any sooner for surgery due to the fact he is already booked out.

He has put her on the cancellation list though, so if anyone else's child is sick or they can not make their surgery for some other reason, Violet may be able to be slotted in sooner than February....of course we may only have 2 days notice for this but we really have no choice as she has run out of options. Don't hold out much hope for this but at least we it place in case they do become available.

He also noted on her weight baring x-rays she had a few months ago that she has multiple fractures in her right foot. He is not sure when these are from but I just can't believe my poor little munchkin has probably been in so much pain and I haven't realised just how much pain. All this time I have assumed it was all CP related pain, not fracture related aswell!

We have her AFO adjustment on 3rd November.

7 comments:

The Taylor Family said...

Not great news. Have fingers and toes crossed for that cancellation to happen...

Missy said...

oh Sarah, that is just awful. I really hope that Violet is able to get an earier surgery date to help alleviate this pain.

The Henrys said...

I'm hoping for a cancellation so she can get in earlier!!

Alison said...

So sorry to hear her foot has gotten worse. It would be fantastic to get a cancellation NOW so it can be all done before school.

Audrey Sue's Mommy said...

:( Oh no, I hate to hear that she has fractures in her foot. Poor Violet!
I'm not hoping for a child to get sick, but I do hope there's a cancellation soon (fingers crossed).

Belinda said...

Oh no! Hoping for a cancellation! xx.

April said...

Oh I am so sorry she's been hurting. Hoping for an earlier surgery!