Monday, 26 July 2010

Stroller Letdown

After much waiting for Violet's new special needs stroller as I have mentioned in some of my past posts, I decided to call the company again last week to see what was happening. They said they still haven't arrived in the country. By this point I was getting frustrated as I need to purchase her stroller before August otherwise the funding provider will want their funds back as you only have 3 months to use them.

After much discussion of my disappointment, they offered to courier up a trial one of the same stroller which I happily accepted in the meantime as I really have no other choice. It arrived on Friday and we took it for the first trial this afternoon at the shops.

Sad to say, I am not impressed! It is a much cheaper version of my beloved Maclaren Major Stroller and today as I was paying for a juice for Violet at a cafe, she was at the side of me but she still managed with her harness on, to push back in it and it went straight back and she cracked her head on the shopping centres hard floor.

Immediately huge continuous screams and crying are followed! People around me are staring and some are helping me pick the stroller up as I am trying to check if Violet is okay...which clearly she wasn't after hitting her head that hard! All she kept screaming inbetween was "my shunt, my shunt" I soon discover that she has landed right on her shunt valve and it is red as.

So I put her back in the stroller and I am freaking out thinking that her shunt isnt allowed to have high impact and that is exactly what it/she just had! Not even high impact sports are allowed to be played by people with a shunt!

There is a G.P near the shops so I took her straight there and he checked her over as much as a G.P with no Hydrocephalus or shunt experience can and advised me to watch her over the next 4 hours for concussion...well to me at that time concussion was the least of my worries! Especially when shunt failure and concussion have alot of the same symptoms anyway!

I decided to call her Neuro team at the Kids Hospital and tell them what had happened. They advised to definitely monitor over the next 24 hours + in case she has any shunt related complications and if she does have, any of course bring her straight in.

She has had falls in the past of course and also hit her head in doing so but never landed right on her shunt as yet...hence my freaking out with worry!

I decided because of this incident that I would not be wanting a stroller that can be toppled over so easily especially when it is supposed to be for children with special needs and for it to tip that easily scares me, so I cancelled my order today. They will be picking up this trial one in the next week.


15 comments:

Alison said...

Oh Sarah - that is awful. Sounds like the pram is not very suitable at all!! If you are going for a wheelchair you probably don't need a sn pram as well.

I hope Violet is OK. If you are too worried to send her to preschool tomorrow she is welcome to come here - we have *many* toys she can play with!!

Sarah said...

I agree Alison, sounds like the OT suggesting a wheelchair was a better option now it seems.

Thanks for the offer, I will see how she is overnight etc.

Josephine said...

Well, what a miserable experience :( I hope that Violet is okay - I understand the freaking out part - I would be the same. I hope that the shunt wasn't damaged though.

Mazzmerise said...

OMG hope she is ok and no shunt issues arrise, you are allowed to freak out
Thinking of you all ♥

The Henrys said...

I can't believe that happened. How scary for you and for her! I'm glad that you cancelled your order. That doesn't sound like a safe stroller.

Just Another Ordinary Miracle said...

Living a day in the life --- and you are doing a great job. Hate to hear the stroller is a disappointment. Ugg. Hopefully you can do something about that since you official stroller still hasn't arrived. Good luck my sweet friend. Give Violet a hug - hope all is well with the shunt.

April said...

Oh I'm so sorry! I Hope she is okay!!
Hopefully the other option will meet your needs better!

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness! I'm not sure what kind of stroller that they tried to give you so I hope it's not the one I'm suggesting, but if you would prefer a stroller type option to a wheelchair may I recommend the Bingo Stroller. We have one and it's amazing. It's a little difficult to get in the US, but my understanding is that it's much easier overseas. They are made by the German company Hoggi. This thing is configurable in 100 different ways, but still doesn't look like a wheelchair. Just a thought.

Cathy said...

Thats terrible!!! I am so sorry to hear that. We have a Jeep pram Bella which is a fantastic pram.Its big but so easy to use. NOt sure if you can get them in Aus but I think you can.

ferfischer said...

Oh geez! I hope you can find something that will work better, and I'm glad you got to try it out first!

Mrs. Van Amberg said...

I hope all is well with Violet. I have been inspired reading your blog and I thank you so much for your comment on our blog for Camilla. You are an amazing mom!

Hannon! said...

Oh no! How awful! I'm glad you canceled your order!
I hope she is okay and her shunt isn't affected by the fall.

Samantha said...

Oh no Sarah, I hope Violet is doing better now and the shunt is okay. Huge huge hugs xoxo

Belinda said...

Hope Violet is ok!!! xxxx.

Pram definately doesn't sound suitable!!!!

Rosalie said...

How absolutely frightening!