Tuesday, 27 April 2010

Triple P Positive Parenting Program


The Spastic Centre have been running a International Award winning Triple P positive parenting program for a while now. They have asked me a few times if I would be interested in participating in the program but as yet haven't taken them up on the offer.

In the last month, I was again offered to participate and decided to finally just do it. This time I was asked by Hawkesbury Community Health.

Violet has had some behaviour problems for a while now. Don't get me wrong she is by no means a naughty child! But to give you one example - At times she can have trouble getting her point across and ends up resorting to tantrums and when I say tantrums, I mean massive meltdowns, the likes I have never seen before! Other times she has meltdowns so bad that I don't know what to do with myself as I get upset seeing her get like that. She loves to hand flap and this doesn't matter if she is chilled out, excited or anxious about something. She is a huge lover of routine and is very put out when not in one e.g away on holidays where routine may alter and in turn more meltdowns.

I am hoping to learn some new techniques and tactics on how to be constructive in how I manage her misbehaviour.

There are 5 Group sessions and 3 Telephone sessions in the program.

Today was my first group session. I have to admit I was and still am a bit apprehensive on just how much they can really help me or anyone else for that matter as most of the information we have already heard is common sense. We even get a big parent workbook and homework!

We will see how it all goes, I am willing to give it a try! I never had to resort to this kind of help with Emily as she was always/still is well behaved.

I will keep you posted on how it all goes.

6 comments:

Alison said...

We did PPP and it is great - when we use it!! My problem is I don't consistently stick to it. Definitely worth giving it a go.

Sarah said...

Oh good to hear it is good Alison!

I know what you mean, I have trouble implementing rules especially when you have had a full on day as most of our days are and also cos I have trouble telling Violet off because of her needs. I am sure I am not the only one in that Dept.??!

Just Another Ordinary Miracle said...

sounds more like it will give you skills to help her communicate. hope it goes well! everything is worth trying

Belinda said...

Sounds interesting!

Hope you get good techniques out of it!

April said...

GOOD LUCK!!! I'd love to hear about what you're learning!

Josephine said...

Well, I hope it helps. Hopefully they really do have some good tips and ideas.