Tuesday, 9 February 2010

Botox Clinic & Orthotic Review

First we had appointment to review Violet's AFO as she has had so much pain lately with her CP, I wanted to be thorough and make sure her AFO was all okay too. Orthotist felt that with the Botox today and more casting, she is quite happy to continue with her AFO the way it is.

Then this afternoon we had Violet's Botox. She was booked for 1.30pm and she was injected at 3.30pm.

She was quite good considering her fasting started from 10.30am.

They again tried to sedate her with some Midazolam before she had her Nitrous Oxide. But, she still didn't cope and spent the whole duration of injections screaming and crying. As soon as she lies on the bed and sees the mask she starts and I stand there with all my strength holding her down, while thinking to myself...is this really necessary? Of course I know it is and she is soo very tight and we need to keep persisting with Botox until surgery age is closer...just doesn't get any easier...

They gave her huge amounts of Botox units, so here's hoping it helps more than previously.

Serial Casting starts Monday week!

Botox Follow-up Clinic Appointment in 2 weeks.

11 comments:

Belinda said...

Oh, just catching up...

Hope there will be the results that are needed.

Sending big, big hugs to Violet! xx.

Susan, Mum to Molly said...

What a day for you both! Was this at Westmead? Would/could they not do a full/proper GA if she finds it so distressing?? FYI: Molly's two BoTox injections have both been under GA (at SCH, under Kevin Lowe).

Hope you both get good sleep tonight and that the injections work a treat for your beautiful girl. Take care, Susan

Sarah said...

Yeah it's @ Westmead. They prefer not to do them with GA's there as far as I know, not sure why...I assume quicker with the Nitrous may be their reason??

Thanks for the info!

Alison said...

I hope you get great results this time. Its awful having to hold your child down for procedures isn't it?

Josephine said...

I'm sorry it's such a hard experience for both of you...I just hope it helps for a good long time this time.

Ally said...

Poor little Violet, sounds so traumatic for you both.

I'd definitely request GA next time, so much quicker and painless *hugs*

Melissa and Luke Young said...

There is nothing worse than watching your child in pain or distressed. Hope Violet and off course you are ok now... Thoughts are with you : )

Melissa and Luke Young said...

There is nothing worse than watching your child in pain or distressed. Hoping that Violet and off course you are ok now. Thoughts with you ; )

Rosalie said...

I'm so sorry Sarah. I have just been through something similar with Deana and it sucks. I hope it works well!

April said...

I'm so sorry it's so hard.... hope it helps!

Leslyhttp://www.goingtomyhead.blogspot.com said...

Sarah ... wish I could just come over there and give you and Violet a big, big cuddle.

I can't understand why little Violet has to go through so much .. why is there no better sedation for her? Not really knowing what it is they are doing during her treatment I am unable to comprehend that you have to hold her down like that. It just doesn't seem right in this day and age.

She is a brave little girl and so are YOU.

All my best wishes and hugs

Lesly