Tuesday, 17 March 2009

Swimming with Mum a Success

Violet was excited all morning as she knew Mummy was taking her swimming today instead of “lady”, she had been saying all morning “I’m cited”

On the way there she was singing to the songs on the radio but instead of singing some of the words she does know, she sang "Mummy come swimming in pool with me" with the right melody etc, was very cute.

We arrived at 12.00 and parked in 1 of the 2 disabled car parking spots as we do every week. As I was getting our bags out and busily talking to Violet, I noticed a lady standing at the front of my car staring at my windscreen. I immediately knew she wanted to know why I was parked in a disabled spot. So I said to her “you alright there?” (sarcastically) and she said “yes” and then she added “I have some disabled people coming here and we need this spot” so I said “So do I, my daughter is disabled” and I simply picked up the bags and Violet and started walking into the swimming centre. She then chose to sit in front of my car on the grass, quite strange really.


What really annoyed me besides her doubting our eligibility was that the disabled people she was talking about were mostly autistic children. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean that in a negative way at all, as I have a friend with an autistic child. It was the fact that they could all walk in better than what Violet could and she acted like I was the one in the wrong for parking there. The way she had spoken about them I was seriously thinking it was going to be people in wheelchairs.


Anyway, after that annoyance we started swimming and Violet did sooo well. She was happy, giggling and because I know her so well I knew just how to get her to try things and how much I could push her in doing so. She even blew bubbles for me which she has not done for her instructors so far. We were in there for 1.5 hours! Will have to make sure only 1 hour as I am extremely exhausted after that hydro temp and I only stayed in that long because she was saying “little bit longer”.


She said to me on the way home in the car “don’t need lady anymore, mummy teach me” and when we got home she was playing in her sandpit and said out of the blue “mummy…your good teacher”.

7 comments:

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Oh Sarah, how beautiful for you and Violet to have such a special bonding time :)
pity about the old biddy! It's a tough one as I sometimes feel there is some sort of order to who needs the spot even if both parties have permits.
Perhaps they need to allocate more spots?

Sarah said...

It was fab Bron!

Yeah the sad thing is that it wasn't an old biddy, it was a lady in her 40's!

I thought straight away she musn't be a mother of a one of these disabled children because you would never have said something like that!

Yeah more spaces everywhere I think!

Josephine said...

You have such a cute girl! I love the singing about swimming with Mummy, and how sweet is it that she kept on telling you what a good teacher you are?! Cute!
Why people think it's okay to butt their noses in is a mystery to me. I only just finally got around to applying for disabled parking plates last week, so I wonder whether I'll be getting weird comments too...we'll see!

Laura said...

What a wonderful experience for you and Violet, minus the pain-in-the-neck in the parking lot. Good for you for sticking to your guns. What a mean lady!

Carla said...

How awesome that she wanted to stay in a little longer! She's right, too, Mummy is a good teacher!!
Sorry about the weirdo in the parking lot, some people have no class.

Alison said...

I'm glad you had a great time swimming with Violet. Sorry to hear about the parking nazi - I often get dirty looks when I park in the disabled spot and then pop A into her pram - I think people just think I'm being lazy. Just as well most people don't say anything because anyone who does will cop an ear-full!

Dianne said...

I LOOOVVVEEEE reading about your swimming experiences. It's so great. I think water is just the greatest for our kids because they have so much freedom. It's also wonderful that Violet loves the idea of you being her teacher - I hope she doesn't give 'the lady' much of a hard time when she sees you again.

Thumbs down to the self appointed parking inspector. I would have been very annoyed by the way she said 'we need....' like your needs are irrelevant!!! ;-(.