Thursday, 5 March 2009

Falling






Today we were picking Emily up early from school as Thursdays are swimming lessons for Em. As we were walking in Violet fell over straight onto her face and I heard this enormous thump of her head hitting the ground.

It looked like she landed with most of the force on her right eye (being her "good" eye) as we call it and all I could think was...is her eye okay even though I knew hitting her head was not good either. Luckily her eye and face were okay but her right side of her forehead is very bruised. So I rushed her over to the school office and they gave me some icepacks, which of course Violet hates having but I had to just persist.

She seems okay at the moment and I will just continue to monitor her.

So after this incident I assume it would have been a mixture of her unilateral blindness and her CP that made her fall, I decided to contact Vision Australia and also re-contacted RIDBC (Royal Institue for Deaf and Blind Children) to have Violet assesed for services from either of them.

We did have an assessment from the RIDBC when Violet was a baby and they said back then that she didn't qualify for regular services as she was as they put it "only" blind in 1 eye! Which don't get me wrong I am grateful she has that 1 eye for vision but she still needs assistance for depth perception, spatial awareness, balance etc as it is a daily challenge.

They showed us some great ideas on lighting and toys that would help Violet but that was where there help ended for us. The fact she is now walking she really needs more help. It is very frustrating! I understand children that are completely blind would be first priority but where do we go for help?

Violet's Physio at The Spastic Centre was only saying on Wednesday at our apppointment that we should contact them again as she is limited with her suggestions on what we can do for Violet's vision issues.

RIDBC are ringing me back today hopefully and Vision Australia in the next week. Fingers crossed they can help us in some way.

11 comments:

Hamza Zakir said...

awwwwwwwwwwwww...i hope that bruse goes away...and i hope you heard from them...good luck...

Susan, Mum to Molly said...

I hope that Vision Australia "come to the party" ASAP.

From what I know of the 2 organisations I think that VA is more appropriate to Violet's situation than RIDBC...

My daughter Molly has some vision issues and on th couple of occasions we have used VA's services they have been very good.

Hope there are no more falls like that for your beautiful girl.

Susan (also in Sydney)

Josephine said...

Ouch!!! Poor Violet!! Good luck with getting some help for her with the vision places - maybe now that she's older they'll be able to see better how much it affects her.

Korin said...

Awww, the poor peanut!!!! I hope she feels better! I hope you hear back and that they offer services.

Sweetest Girl in the World said...

Oh that bump looks like it hurts. I hope you're able to get the help she deserves. I'm sure you're very frustrated and I will keep you in my thoughts that you get those calls soon!!!

Shannon said...

Oh wow, that is a whopper of an egg. Poor Violet. I hope she is feeling better soon and that she recieves the assistance she needs.

Dianne said...

Oh, that's awful. The poor thing!

I hope she feels better tomorrow ;-(.

And as for sources of assistance, it sounds ridiculous to me that she wouldn't be eligible for anything. I really hope you get a good response from Vision Australia. If not, ask them AGAIN, and then AGAIN.....until they say yes ;-).

HUGS for a speedy recovery xo

Alison said...

Oh - poor thing - that is quite a shiner. I hope you have more luck accessing services.

Carla said...

Oh Poor Violet! HUGS!! I pray that one of those organizations helps her with her vision.

Big brother, Little sister. said...

Hope Violet is okay after that whopper of a head knock! that is pretty impressive! Keep calling and annoying Vison Aust, that is just ridiculous.

Sarah said...

Thankfully, she is fine and her bruising is slowly disappearing.